Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Everything is Racist

Everything is racist.  Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist, food served at college is racist, standardized testing is racist, the Academy Awards are racist and now I learn today even infant mortality is the result of racism.  The list goes on and on and on.  I am sure there are more, but this is enough to make my point – everything that blacks do not like is now racist.  Every problem that blacks have can be traced back to and blamed on racism.

Heck, a white roommate of a Ms. Priscilla Ward caused her great angst because he did not know what was going on in Ferguson, Missouri.  Ms.Ward, was traumatized by the event. She wrote about the agonizing experience "I longed to crawl back to my tiny black universe. A place where I could create a sense of peace, identity and acceptance, a place where I could sit there, trying to untangle my fro and make sense of what it means to be an African-American woman in this country, rehashing our history while facing present pain. But life happens, and most of us can’t stay in our own utopias forever."

Ms. Ward's reaction is typical of many blacks today.  Set aside that her white roommate choose to room with her a black woman, the fact remains that he is racist because he didn't know what was going on in a small black Missouri city. No, it couldn't be that he, like so many other young people today just didn't have a clue about a current event.  Nope it was an attack on Ms. Ward that rocked her world.

After learning today that black babies dying is the result of racism I decide to give up and just concede that everything is racist.  Yes, white people, especially white males, along with P&J sandwiches are racist and are the root of all evils inflicted upon blacks.

You can keep believing the race baiters when they preach their hate and our country will grow angrier and more divided. Or we can stop paying attention to the Priscilla Wards of this world and pay attention to real problems. It is time we stop playing the race card for every perceived microagression.  It is time of us to set aside race and start living the dream of Martin Luther King, Jr. by looking past skin color and working toward solutions to stop violent crime, poverty and lack of health care, not just for blacks but for the poor of all colors.
You will have my support when you look at an issue from a socioeconomic point of view.  You will lose me when you blame me for the problem because of my skin color.

You will have my support when you raise issues of police brutality, gun violence that kills young men and women and children. You will lose me when you tell me I do not have to deal with these issues because of my white privilege. I do have to deal with them both on an individual level and because issues that affect my fellow Americans and my country affect me.

You will lose me when you scream P&J sandwiches, college food, and the academy awards are racist.  These are meaningless issues and only serve to distract from real problems.

Infant mortality is a real and serious problem so if you want to talk about how we can provide better access to prenatal care for poor woman so they can bear healthy babies then I'm there with you.  Play the race card and you divide us and drive me away.

I am a non-hyphenated, colorblind American who will help all Americans achieve the American Dream.  I will not help those who attack me because of my race.  I am caring and compassionate but I am not stupid.

Time to end the race baiting, the hating and start looking for the real root causes of violence and poverty in America.  Time to focuses on what unites us and to work together to make our country the best country in the world.

I am willing to live King's dream; are you?

Note: Here is a link to Ward's essay.  It is worth reading and if you are like me you will come away thi linking she is the racist and not her roommate.

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/31/im_tired_of_suppressing_myself_to_get_along_with_white_people_2/


No comments:

Post a Comment